With a body like that you can see why The Nutritionista loves Nikki Sharp right? Mega babe!! The Nutritionista interviewed Nikki a while ago (check it out here) on how her journey into healthy living began, her modelling career, business advice, her favourite meal etc. Nikki’s famous for her company Stay Sharp Be Strong and her 5 day detox. So I asked Nikki whether she would do a guest article for The Nutritionista on Detoxing…so here is Nikki Sharp’s Guide To Detoxing enjoy x
Detoxing isn’t always the easiest thing in the world, but if you know what to cut out, what to add in and why you are doing it then you can power through those days of cutting out certain foods. In my 5 Day Detox you will be eating absolutely delicious meals that leave you feel satisfied. I recommend everyone trying out a detox, whether it’s mine or another one you find interesting because the benefits are immense. You will gain more energy, reduce cravings, get clearer skin, lose bloating and overall feel healthier. There is also the potential to lose weight which is always a bonus.
Below are my top 5 things to get started with for detoxing.
1. Lemons. These little yellow guys are quite possibly one of the best things for your health. They alkalize your body, stop your cravings immediately and provide far more vitamin C than oranges, keeping you healthy and happy.
Try adding the juice of ½ a lemon into a glass of warm water. Drinking this first thing in the morning will kick start your metabolism and will help to aid you in the challenge by detoxifying your liver. Other great ways to use lemons are juicing one into sparkling water, which kills cravings or adding it to salad dressings.
2. Green smoothies. If you are struggling with hard core cravings, have bad skin or are low on energy a green smoothie in the morning is the perfect thing for you. They increase your intake of leafy greens, which we need for great immune health.
Add 1 handful kale or spinach, ¼ pineapple, juice of ½ lime, ¼ avocado and one cup of water into a blender. Add ice and enjoy!
3. Sugar subsitutes. Cutting sugar is hard, but having substitutes is a great thing. This will not only help clear your skin, cutting unnatural sugars will help to reduce sugar cravings and leave you with more energy.
Try having medjool dates, 70% or higher dark chocolate, homemade chocolate with raw cacao butter, raw cacao, and manuka honey.
4. Teas and jazzed water. Having a few cups of herbal teas and jazzed water daily will help to detoxify your body and increase your vitamins and nutrients.
Mint tea helps to soothe an upset stomach, ginger to reduce bloating and fennel tea to increase metabolism. Jazzing your water is as simple as adding some mint leaves, basil, rosemary or fruit.
5. Herbs & spices. These will be your best friend if you’re cutting out sugar or salt as they add tons of flavor and amazing benefits, without adding calories.
Add cayenne pepper to sauces, dressings or your lemon water in the morning. This boosts metabolism and fights fat. Cinnamon will also increase your metabolism along with adding a sugary flavor, sans sugar.